Wednesday, November 2, 2011

By Invitation Only

This is a third edition entry of Marsha's Splendorosa blogging party By Invitation Only, describing something we have always longed for, with no financial barriers.


In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
                                                                                                               John Fowles

Rather than post about something I have always wanted to do, but have never done, it seems more meaningful to list things I wish I had known about sooner. That’s true about a lot of things I guess, but it would have been nicer to have attained such a firm grasp of the obvious before I was dealing with Medicare open seasons, for god sake.

 
The older I get the more difficulty I have dealing with the wishful thinking of shoulda-woulda-coulda. And it can be just as difficult coming up with the perfect bucket list, especially when you’ve been lucky. The more I dwell on it the more I start to realize - and it’s not from lack of imagination - I have pretty much done everything I’ve dreamt of doing.


But there is one thing...    


While I suppose a trip around the moon and back is still not out of the question, it’s just sometimes easier escaping to therapeutic respites within minutes and short walks from home. Giving in to the gentle coaxing of big collie eyes, pushing away from cyberspace traps, cascading emails, social networks, as well as cell phone disruptions, I  just escape outdoors for a walk in the woods, allow them to move through me. On our infrequent crisp, sunny days this time of year…there’s nothing more sustainable or rejuvenating.


 And John Glenn didn’t go on a space shuttle ride until he was 77.

No comments:

Post a Comment